Contact Heating Central

News

Carbon Monoxide Alarm

An audible carbon monoxide alarm installed recently has proven its value as it went off within days of being installed, alarming the resident of the toxic fumes coming from the faulty gas cooker, potentially saving a life.

The Chief Executive of the Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering (CIPHE), had the carbon monoxide alarm installed at his mother’s home. The alarm went off within days of being installed probably preventing a serious toxic poisoning and potentially saving her life.

Blane Judd, Chief Executive of the Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering (CIPHE), together with CORGI Trust manager, Nigel Dumbrell, is calling for all Corgi registered plumbers and heating engineers to recommend the audible CO alarm to their customers.

The Chief Executive said: “We considered my mother was at low risk of Co poisoning, as the only fossil-fuelled appliance she has is a gas cooker. This shows how easily potential hazard can be ignored.

“I would ask everyone who uses a fossil-fuel appliance, be it a log burner, or an oil fired cooking range, to install an audible CO alarm in line with the manufacturer’s instructions.